To create a place for the child where specific learning problems meet specific instructional needs.


Monday, February 22, 2010

Relationship and Confidence and a 9 year old

My mentor in everything that is tutoring, and very kind friend- (whom I shall refer to as "EP" now- as well as in future blogs), mentioned the other day that "Success with your students is 80% about relationship". Well, I have a nine year old coming in today. I pray so very hard for this boy. We have drilled the short vowel sounds with several different techniques for a long time now. He is just barely making progress. His confidence level- from years of inadequacy in school is nill. He just seems afraid to make a choice of a vowel sound- he has failed so for so long...

He likes photography, so last week We spent one afternoon out on the shore of Lake Superior taking pictures of neat ice formations. We didn't do any tutoring- we just hung out. I hope he can get to a comfort level with me that he will just "blurt out" the sound he thinks is correct- rather than always going through the painful self doubt he has...

No comments:

Post a Comment